component-social-facebook_share_api-v2-01
      4
      Saturday
      4 / -9
      Sunday
      18 / -15
      Monday
      31 / 18

      A reminder to get a carbon monoxide detector, change batteries

      As winter approaches, the Marquette City Fire Department is reminding everyone to get a carbon monoxide detector, and if you already have one, replace the batteries.

      Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can cause asphyxiation if trapped in a home. The only way to detect the poisonous gas is with a working detector. Now's a good time to invest in a detector since the winter months bring a higher risk for carbon monoxide.

      "If you have a fuel burning appliance that's not functioning correctly, it can give off carbon monoxide," said Sgt. Ian Davis. "Also, if the vents from those appliances are blocked by debris or snow, that can back it into the house."

      If your detector does go off, evacuate your home and call 9-1-1 immediately.

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER