57
      Saturday
      85 / 62
      Sunday
      89 / 64
      Monday
      79 / 62

      Candle sparks early morning house fire

      A Negaunee home sustained significant damage after a fire early Monday morning.Crews were called out at 2:39 a.m. to the house, located at 119 East Peck Street in Negaunee. When they arrived, flames were seen shooting from the second story window. Fire fighters entered the building through the front door. They quickly knocked the blaze down. The inside of the home has considerable smoke and fire damage. The outside damages are on the front and west side of the building.The family escaped without injury. They were renting the home, and do not have renters insurance. The name of the home owner has not been released.

      It's believed that an unattended candle is what started the fire.

      Four trucks from the Negaunee City Fire Department were on the scene. Assisting them were members of the Negaunee City Police Department, Marquette County Rescue 131, Bell Ambulance, Negaunee City Electric and SEMCO Gas.