76 / 51
      58 / 41
      50 / 36

      Construction sparks Gladstone fire

      Construction work is believed to have sparked a fire at a Gladstone business early Thursday morning.

      Gladstone Public Safety was called out to Mark's Auto Sales, 824 Superior Ave. at 3:57 a.m. Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke coming from the attic area of the building. The blaze was contained to the attic and ceiling of the structure. Minor renovation work had been completed just a day before, and it is believed that the fire started from that work.

      The business, owned by Dan Hackleman, sustained fire damage in the attic region, smoke damage throughout, and some minor water damage. Firefighters stayed on the scene for nearly three hours. There were no injuries, police said.