63
      Friday
      84 / 60
      Saturday
      85 / 62
      Sunday
      87 / 64

      Dog saves Richmond Township man from house fire

      Scene of a house fire in Richmond Township, Michigan

      A dog is being credited with saving the life of a Richmond Township man whose home was destroyed by fire. Firefighters were called out for a report of a chimney fire just before 4:00 a.m. Thursday at 61 County Road MWG.

      One person was inside the home when the fire started. He told firefighters he was awakened by his dog. He managed to get out safely, but suffered minor burns while trying to go back inside to rescue his dog.

      The homeowner was taken to Marquette General Hospital for treatment. His dog did not survive.

      Officials say a wood stove was being used to heat the home when the chimney caught on fire.

      The Richmond Township Fire Department was assisted by the Forsyth Township and Negaunee Township Fire Departments. Officials say the sub zero temperatures made it a challenge to fight the fire.