69
      Friday
      75 / 54
      Saturday
      78 / 56
      Sunday
      80 / 59

      Early morning sauna fire sends Hancock man to hospital

      A sauna fire early Wednesday morning at a Michigan Tech fraternity house sends one man to the hospital.

      At 3:30 a.m., deputies from the Houghton County Sheriff's Department investigated a sauna fire at the Theta Tau Fraternity House in Portage Township. Four people were taking a sauna when an explosion occurred inside the sauna.

      "Apparently the guys were saunaing and they had a bottle of eucalyptus oil and they were adding it to what they thought was a bottle of water and apparently it was a flammable liquid. They poured it on the stove and it flared up and burnt the fellow that was pouring it on the rocks," said Sheriff Brian McLean.

      A 26-year-old Hancock man was transported by a friend to Portage Health Hopsital for treatment of burns. The man was later sent to a hospital in Duluth, Minnesota for further treatment.

      Deputies were assisted at the scene by the Hurontown Fire Department.