57 / 39
      54 / 38
      41 / 33

      Escanaba home damaged by early morning fire

      A fire that started in a chimney has caused heavy damage to an Escanaba home.

      Escanaba Public Safety was called out at approximately 12:30 Monday morning to a reported chimney fire at 1701 5th Ave South.

      The owners were evacuated from the house as the residence filled up with smoke and flames were visible between the ceiling and chimney.

      Officers battled the blaze for 30 minutes before getting it under control. Firefighters were able to save the structure.

      No one was injured in the blaze and the family was put up in a hotel with assistance from the Red Cross.

      Escanaba Public Safety was assisted at the scene by the Delta County Sheriff's Department and Rampart EMS.