74
      Thursday
      85 / 61
      Friday
      85 / 62
      Saturday
      86 / 62

      Explosion destroys summer cottage

      A propane gas explosion destroyed a summer cottage on Lake Independence in Big Bay. It happened Friday around 2 p.m.

      The Powell Township Fire Department says an accumulation of gas from an apparent leak was ignited as soon as Chuck and Joanne Anderson lit their gas fireplace.

      The home, located on County Road 550, immediately went up in flames. The residents were able to escape without injury and are being provided temporary lodging and assistance by the Pigs-N-Heat Fire Relief Fund.

      Powell Township Fire was assisted by Powell EMS and the Marquette Township Fire Department.