Firefighters battled a blaze that broke out at an Escanaba apartment building Thursday afternoon. Police say the cause of the fire was a burning candle.
No one was injured in the fire. It was called in at 4:00 p.m. When police responded to the fire at 632 North 19th Street, the east end of the building was destroyed.
The man living upstairs was able to get out safely. Police say they have contacted the downstairs tenant, a woman who is currently out of the state. There were no other tenants.
Police say the house did sustain heavy water and smoke damage.