77
      Monday
      85 / 61
      Tuesday
      87 / 63
      Wednesday
      84 / 63

      Fire destroys Manistique home

      A Manistique home was destroyed by fire Tuesday afternoon. Firefighters were called out to 513 N. Mackinac Street at 2:00 p.m.

      The house was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. Frank and Denise Chase own the home. They were not home at the time, but their two pet dogs were found dead inside the house.

      Officials say the fire started in the kitchen area. They believe it was caused by a faulty metal stove pipe which allowed hot embers from the wood stove to escape onto the floor.

      Officials say the Chase family did not have insurance. The home is a total loss. The Red Cross was also on the scene offering assistance.