77
      Thursday
      85 / 61
      Friday
      85 / 62
      Saturday
      86 / 62

      Fire in downtown Houghton

      Flames erupted on the fifth floor of an apartment building in Houghton on Friday. The fire started around 10 a.m. at Heritage Manor, a senior apartment complex.No major injuries were reported and firefighters believe the fire started in the kitchen. Forty residents were rescued. Officials say the building didn't have a sprinkler system which meant more work for the firefighters."There was a lot of smoke on the fifth floor. The flames and the fire were coming right out of the affected apartment. Even the hallway was very hot and there was a lot of smoke. We were very lucky to get everybody out,?? said Houghton firefighter Mike Gloss.Earlier today the senior citizens were housed at Dee Stadium and officials say due to the fire damage residents will not be allowed to move back anytime soon.Residents will be housed at Wadsworth Hall on Michigan Tech??s campus this weekend.

      Houghton Fire Department was assisted by Hancock, Hurontown, and Calumet Township. The Houghton Police and Sheriff's Department, Michigan State Police, and Mercy EMS were also on scene.

      Donations can be dropped off or mailed to the City Center located downtown Houghton. Checks can be made out to the Houghton Housing Commission.

      616 Shelden Avenue

      Houghton, MI 49931

      (906) 482-1700