31 / 18
      25 / 20
      15 / 10

      Heating equipment a leading cause in house fires during winter

      According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fires during the winter months.

      On November 13, firefighters from Ishpeming Township responded to an early morning fire and officials said a space heater was the cause.

      The National Fire Protection Association said in 2011, heating equipment was involved in an estimated 53,600 reported U.S. home structure fires and 400 deaths.

      "One of the main things you want to take into consideration with any type of heating source is to keep anything that's burnable or combustible at least three feet away from those heat sources," said Marquette City Fire Inspector Ian Davis.

      When it comes to purchasing a space heater for your home, apartment or office, Jeremy Wright, a pro service specialist at Lowe's, said pay attention to the label.

      "More and more these days they are having the safety feature; if they fall over, they automatically shut off. This space heater has the button underneath so when it's set up right, it makes it where the electricity will flow through, but if it falls over, the electricity will no longer flow through and it will stop working and it will turn off," said Wright.

      Marquette Fire Inspector Ian Davis said kerosene heaters produce carbon monoxide.

      "Make sure you have some type of ventilation in the room and then also make sure you have a functioning carbon monoxide detector," Davis said.