87
      Wednesday
      86 / 63
      Thursday
      85 / 61
      Friday
      85 / 62

      Home destroyed in early morning fire

      An Alger County home went up in flames early Friday morning.

      When firefighters responded around 7 a.m., they found the small house on Military Road in Onota Township completely engulfed. According to fire crews, the flames were visible from M-28.

      Three people were inside the home at the time of the fire, but there were no injuries. Officials believe the fire may have been caused by an electric space heater.

      The Onota Township, AuTrain Township and Chocolay Township Fire Departments all responded, as well as the Michigan State Police, Alger County EMS and Marquette County Rescue 131. The American Red Cross in Marquette is providing assistance to the victims.