43
      Friday
      75 / 54
      Saturday
      78 / 56
      Sunday
      80 / 59

      Home lost to intense fire

      A house fire in the City of Manistique early Sunday morning.

      When Manistique Public Safety and firefighters arrived at 195 North Maple Street at 5:10 a.m. Sunday, the first floor of the two story home was fully engulfed in fire.

      Christian and Stacy Young and their three children, McKenzie, Cadence and Hunter Richmond, were able to get out of the house safely. The family also has three dogs; two of them survived, a Yorkie, however, died in the fire.

      The home and the contents are considered a total loss. Fire officials say there was a tremendous amount of heat and smoke damage.

      The Schoolcraft County Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.

      The investigation has determined the fire started in a downstairs bedroom when a space heater was knocked over, igniting clothing and bedding. The family tried to put out the fire but were unable to, and it spread quickly. They then called 911 and left the house.

      Firefighters were on the scene for nearly three hours.