Firefighters responded to a fire caused by a lightning strike that was dangerously close to a 500 pound propane tank on Monday night.
According to police, a lightning strike near a home in Manistique Township caused the surrounding trees to catch fire. When officials arrived at around 10 p.m. they found the large fire burning next to a 500 pound propane tank, endangering a nearby home.
Firefighters were able to turn off the propane tank and extinguish the fire without any damage to the home.
Investigators say that the lightning strike struck the ground or maple tree next to the propane tank, severing the feed line to the home and igniting a fire. The family was not home at the time of the blaze, but neighbors called 911 to alert firefighters.