78
      Monday
      85 / 61
      Tuesday
      87 / 63
      Wednesday
      84 / 63

      Local reactions to Sgt. Bergdahl's release

      Sergeant Bergdahl's release seems to bring about mixed emotions from all angles.

      And it's especially interesting to hear from our local veterans and active duty soldiers.

      "When we sign up for the service, we take an oath to honor and defend our country until death, if necessary," said Glen Caron, Veteran of the USS Nasa in Norfolk, VA.

      That's the general consensus among the Veterans and current soldiers.

      Many of them say they believe Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl is a deserter.

      The Pentagon's 2010 investigation into Sergeant Bergdahl's 2009 disappearance from his unit in Afghanistan concluded as such.

      But for the past five years of his captivity, the U.S. Government pursued negotiations with terrorists in order to get Bergdahl back.

      "As it is from what I've read, five years is more than enough punishment of being a POW. I'm sure they'll want to do UCMJ action, and do disciplinary action against him, but I think he's already suffered enough. He should just be able to be reintegrated and back with his family after so long," said Specialist Phillip Kangas, 68 Whiskey combat medic of the Michigan Army National Guard.

      Bergdahl was released from captivity over the weekend.

      But his freedom came with a hefty price tag; The exchange of five terror suspects who had been held at Guantanamo Bay.

      Bergdahl is recovering in a German military hospital.

      The five terror suspects are in Qatar.

      "We know going in that we're not going to barter. The United States is not going to barter for you as a hostage. We do not succumb to terrorism. And when you start to succumb to terrorism, you weaken the nation as a whole. Now, the world sees that, 'hey, they negotiated for this guy.'"

      "I know we're not supposed to negotiate with terrorists of any kind, but he was the only POW we've had, and you want to get everybody home no matter what."

      Controversy has come up now surrounding the President's decision to go ahead with the five terror suspects' release.

      Congress says the President didn't give the required 30 day notice.

      The detainees must stay in Qatar for at least a year.

      This was part of the exchange deal that was negotiated with assistance of the government of Qatar.

      Meanwhile, lawmakers are holding hearings on the case.