75
      Friday
      84 / 60
      Saturday
      85 / 62
      Sunday
      87 / 64

      Mercury spill reported

      Officials are reporting a mercury spill in Manistique earlier on Tuesday.

      Manistique Public Safety was aware of the situation. The mercury was located behind the shops on South Cedar Street, behind an apartment building.

      The area was cordoned off and tended to. Mercury is a shiny, silvery liquid metal found in thermostats and gas pressure regulators and household items such as thermometers. Breathing small amounts can harm the nervous system of children and unborn babies.

      Officials say larger amounts can cause irritability, memory loss, shortness of breath, respiratory and eye irritation and even kidney damage.