"We take patient safety and our employee safety to heart, and we want to do everything precautionary in order to prevent anything else from happening," said Kathy Kerscher, a Bellin Health Team Leader, after the Kingsford clinic closed its doors on Monday.
Mold was discovered in the clinic's basement last weekend after employees started experiencing headaches and eye discomfort.
Mold is most commonly found in damp areas like basements, attics, and bathrooms and can be dangerous if it's not removed quickly.
According to Michigan state law, mold isn't monitored by any government agencies. In fact health departments are very limited in what they can do when it comes to mold.
"We do not inspect homes for mold; we do not have the equipment here at the health department, said Sheila McNulty, the Environmental Health Sanitarian at the Dickinson Iron District Health Department. We provide resources for people and will help them get as much information as we can for them, and we are here to take calls."
The health department receives several calls per month about mold which are referred to local companies or the mold section of the michigan.gov website.
The health department works with other agencies to remove lead and asbestos from homes, but its hands are tied when it comes to mold.
"It's hard because if we cannot go into the home and inspect for it and there aren't any laws to regulate how much mold is there or what kind of mold it is, McNulty said, then it's hard to enforce anyone to clean it up."
A representative from Bellin Health said the Kingsford clinic will likely reopen April 13.