85 / 62
      89 / 64
      79 / 62

      Officials identify cause of former church fire

      The Iron Mountain Fire Department has wrapped up its investigation into Tuesday's fire that destroyed a small business.

      Officials believe the cause was aging wiring that was found at the point of origin. The building, which was once a church, caught fire early Tuesday morning at Francie's Traditional Designs.

      According to fire officials, the fire started at floor level in a wall. Due to the potential of a collapse, authorities had to close a two-block section of Carpenter Avenue on Tuesday. That road closure is still in effect.

      Iron Mountain officials say the next step is for the property owners to get a permit to have the building torn down, which could take a couple days.