6 / -5
      4 / -9
      18 / -15

      Prosecution rests in Ishpeming murder trial

      Courthouse in Marquette, Michigan

      Jack Carpenter, 52, faces murder charges for the death of 28-year-old David Meyer in June 2012. The trial entered its third day as the prosecution began to call more witnesses to the stand, before finally resting their case late Friday afternoon.

      "Didn't I make myself clear? If you ride around here again, I will openly shoot you." That statement was alleged to have come from Jack Carpenter, according to Prosecuting Attorney Matt Wiese's first witness, Anton Bachmann.

      Bachmann testified in February of 2012 he was riding his snowmobile across the street from Carpenter's residence. He said the defendant was angry about his dog being killed by a snowmobile.

      "I didn't really think he was serious," claimed Bachmann.

      He continued that a little later, Carpenter returned from his home with his hand over a pistol in his waistband.

      "I was just surprised at what was going on," said Mitchell Matta. Matta, who was called second to the stand, was out riding with Bachmann. "He said if we keep hanging around there, he's going to shoot us."

      During Defense Attorney Karl Numinen's cross examination, he asked if the gun was ever pointed at either of them in which both witnesses replied "no."

      Later, Ishpeming Police Officer Brent Zaborowski, who was called to the scene the day of the homicide, testified that Carpenter was clearly intoxicated. The officer said the defendant smelled of alcohol and was "slurring his words."

      Detective Sergeant Jay Peterson, who handled forensics at crime scenes, revealed the large hunting knife had no fingerprints.

      He also testified that there were larger amounts of blood near a chair, not where the body lied, and said it "appeared the victim had been moved."

      Numinen pointed out that Peterson, who is in charge of fingerprint analysis, did not send the knife found at the scene in for fingerprint analysis until July 2013, over a year after the murder.

      The gun, he mentioned, was tested for a DNA match. However, the knife was leaving it unknown as to who can be identified to holding it.

      He additionally mentioned another crime lab witness' testimony that anyone holding that knife would have left DNA and those microtrace amounts could be tested to find a match.

      Officers had testified smelling a strong odor of bleach at the crime scene and a bottle with blood smeared on it was presented as evidence. During cross examination Numinen asked if the carpet, where blood stains were found, was tested for any chemicals, but Peterson responded that the odor was so strong they didn't feel it was necessary.

      The defense attorney said he didn't believe there to be blood smears on the carpet that could be the result of an attempt to clean it.

      In redirect, the prosecutor presented photos of a shirt that had faded sleeves, possibly from bleach.

      We will be in the courtroom throughout the day on Friday, providing updates here and on our TV6 Early News at 6 p.m. You can also follow our Twitter feed for updates directly from court.