55
      Saturday
      84 / 62
      Sunday
      90 / 64
      Monday
      80 / 62

      Protecting yourself from carbon monoxide gas

      Carbon monoxide is a gas that can be deadly. You can't see or smell the gas, so having a carbon monoxide detector inside your home is one of the best ways to protect yourself.

      Detectors come in all shapes and sizes and they can be found in many local stores. They cost anywhere from $20 to $45.

      "It's a good idea to have a carbon monoxide detector," said Paul Enrietti of the Marquette Fire Department. "It'll give you some early warnings if there was a problem with your heating unit or your water heater or something where there was a malfunction of gas equipment."

      Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide include headache, fatigue, nausea, and dizziness. If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, you should turn down the thermostat or shut the furnace off and open the windows to let in fresh air.