The Marquette Fire Department was called to a structure fire at a home on Michigan Street and Fern Place early morning on New Year's Day. When firefighters arrived, the house was engulfed in flames.
The Marquette Fire Department worked for hours in below zero temperatures to disbar the flames. When the fire was finally put out, smoke filled the air of the entire block, lessening visibility.
No word yet on what started the fire, but the investigation will begin immediately. Arson investigators have been contacted regarding the fire.
"We haven't had a chance to start doing an investigation. We're still involved with the knockdown portion and the overhaul, so we will do an investigation as we do with all fires," said Cpt. Mallos.
Everyone did get out of the home safely and no firefighters were injured.
A family friend has set up a donation account for the family at gofundme.com.
Clothing donations for the mother and three-year-old son are also being accepted. The mother wears a medium and size 4-5 pants and size 8 shoes. The son is in 3T and wears a young child size 10.
A family friend will be picking up donations Thursday and next week around Marquette, Gwinn, Negaunee, and Ishpeming. She asks that you contact her via Facebook if you have donations.