Homestead and Aurora Fire Departments responded to a garage fire 10:30 a.m. Thursday morning.
Upon arrival at the scene, 2567 Miller Road in Homestead Township, the fire departments found the garage fire had become a fully involved structure fire. Due to the severity of the fire, they requested mutual aid for water supply and additional staff from Fence, Florence and Breiting Township Fire Departments.
The fire caused considerable damage to the building. An additional issue arose due to the building being insulated with cellulose insulation so a track-hoe excavator was brought in to help extinguish the continually smoldering cellulose.
After many hours battling the flames, the fire was believed to have been contained. However, around 11:30 p.m. Thursday night, Homestead Fire Department was, again, called in as the fire had rekindled. They were able to quickly extinguish the fire and were clear from the scene just before 12:30 a.m. Friday morning.