69
      Monday
      85 / 61
      Tuesday
      87 / 63
      Wednesday
      84 / 63

      Tips for keeping safe from carbon monoxide

      With the recent cold spell, the Michigan State Police is reminding residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide gas.

      Carbon monoxide, or CO, is produced when fossil fuels are burned. During this time of year, kerosene heaters and natural gas stoves used to heat homes can produce the gas, especially if not maintained.

      The Marquette City Fire Department recommends a CO detector as the gas is odorless and tasteless, making it difficult to notice.

      "The first thing you're going to notice for symptoms is going to be headache, dizziness and nausea. If you do happen to notice any symptoms or if you have a detector and it goes off, it's basically like how you would react to a fire--you need to get everybody out of the house and then call 911," said Marquette City Fire Inspector, Ian Davis.

      Davis also said the detectors are very affordable and can be found at most home improvement stores.