component-social-facebook_share_api-v2-01
      11
      Friday
      6 / -5
      Saturday
      4 / -9
      Sunday
      18 / -15

      Two escape blaze in weekend house fire

      Firefighters responded to a home fully engulfed in flames in Powell Township on Sunday afternoon.

      Officials say that when they arrived to the scene of the fire at around 3:52 p.m. they discovered the rear side of the home on County Road 550 fully engulfed in flames.

      The homeowner, 60-year-old Christine Mersmann and her 7-year-old grandson, were home at the time. The grandson was able to escape through a broken window with no injuries, but Mersmann received minor facial burns, according to officials.

      Fire officials say that the blaze started when papers near a wood stove caught fire and spread. The building was a total loss.

      One of the two dogs in the home died during the fire.

      Fourteen firefighters with three pumpers responded to battle the blaze.

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER